Monday, September 29, 2014

Interview with Josh Graham

Ohio, home of Bone Thugz-N-Harmony the pioneers of Hip Hop in the Midwest United States in the '90's. Fast forward to 2014 and the new beginning of Hip Hop/R&B in Ohio brought to you by Josh Graham, a multi-talented artist, who has flow and one hell of a voice. When you think Ohio, you don't immediately think of Hip Hop, but by the end of this interview I hope you change your view, and that more aspiring artists gain confidence and rise to do what they love. I'm not going to give a long drawn out introduction on Josh Graham, I'm going to let his interview and his music speak for itself.

ITS - Who have been your inspiration personally and musically?
 
Josh - "NAS and Amiee Winehouse have been my major influences. NAS was my influence because he is one of the few remaining real lyricists in Hip Hop and he was always willing to stay that way. Amiee Winehouse taught me that having music that sounded different from others and having a singing voice that wasn't like any other on the planet would sell and make you a star. Be different, it will make you stand out. Personally there are four people who inspire me. They keep me motivated, give honest opinions of my music and whenever I'm feeling down and defeated, they can lift me back up. They are my music manager Dj Black Ceza, Brandon Newsom, Emily Lough and Alyssa Swerington. Always by my side and all of them are highly talented!"
 
ITS - Talk a little bit about the hip hop scene in Ohio, and where you would like to see it in 5 years.
Josh - "Truthfully, there isn't much of a hip hop scene in my part of Ohio. Those who are, i've never heard of them. I tend to do my own thing and stay away from falling into the trap of “local star.” I want to send a message to the world not just my city. You have to think of the bigger picture. Being a local celebrity is nice but why waste the talent you have by staying here, or falling into a cover band. Something that happens alot. We have very few artists and an overrun of cover bands. When you ask these artists if they dreamed of making it they normally respond with yes but its ohio, nobody comes here. Which is the exact reason I market away from here. According to my soundcloud statistics, i'm popular in Turkey. Which is crazy! In the future I hope to see more artists venture out of Ohio or for more record labels to see the untapped talent in Ohio."
 
ITS - Nas has previously stated that "Hip Hop is dead" what's your take on that statement?
 
Josh - "Completely true! Its hard to find a real lyricist these days. Most mainstream artists don't care about having a message in their music anymore. In my opinion they are writing lyrics as fast as possible so that the turnaround time is quicker, which means more money. Hip hop these days is always the same subjects drugs, sex, gangs and drugs. As an artist writing about those particular subjects limits how many fans I can make. No thirty five year old mom wants to hear about someone getting high. They want something they can rock to and their kids and at the same time can also hit that teenage market. This is why I do multiple genres. Im only trying to create as many fans possible by relating to more people. Hip hop that told a story and tried to change the world is dead. I hope to help bring it back somehow."
 
ITS - Who do you think 10 years ago had the biggest influence in the hip hop game, and who do you think is the biggest today and why?
Josh - "Eminem. I know I sound similar to him but i've done my best to separate myself as an artist. He is himself and I am me. He influenced music dramatically with his off the wall lyrics and lyrical vocabulary. He forced artists to up their game. In my opinion Eminem is the best rapper ever. He can go missing for years then drop an album and won multiple grammys with it. Who else can do that?"
 
ITS -  If you could pick one artist to collaborate with who would it be and why?
Josh - "Tevin Campbell. Crazy right? I was barely four when he came onto the music scene with “Can we talk.” He is my favorite singer of all time. I’d kill to do a song with him. He was so talented but overlooked by too many. It was around the time Price and Micheal Jackson were fighting for King of Pop and sadly he just didn't receive the credit he deserved. I recently heard he is trying to make a comeback."
 
ITS - Talk a little bit about your song "HIghway".
 
Josh - "my song called “Highway” features my good friend Callie Rowe. It means alot to me because despite it being older, it shows me how far ive come since then musically and personally. Most people think the song is amazing but when i hear it, its simply my motivation to create an even better song."
 
ITS - Final question- a fun question I like to throw in what are some rituals you have to get pumped up for a show?
 
Josh - "I like to sing my own songs to myself. Dance some and then go out and rock the place!"

If you want to follow Josh on what I'm sure will be an amazing journey and to keep up with what's going on musically check him out on social media.
 
Twitter @itsjoshgraham
Instagram itsjoshgraham
Soundcloud jgraham928
 
Also check out his track that we talked about "Highway" here
 
 
And if you want to purchase this amazing track you can
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment: