Monday, September 22, 2014

Interview with Candice Sand

Welcome back and week with Inside The Scene. Things are starting to pick up and get a little busy. This week I was able to catch up with Canadian musician Candice Sand. This talented singer comes from us from Toronto but was born in a small town in Saskatchewan called Melville, and just finished up a tour of Canada with stops in Edmonton, Vancouver, Toronto, to name a few. Candice began singing when she was 8, and continued on through school, ending up in Brandon University's Faculty of Music studying Opera. From there she went to Edmonton and expanded her studies, studying Jazz, and all contemporary styles of music. Candice has recently been working with Kuya Productions (who are known for their work with Canadian singer JRDN). She released her recent EP titled "Against Concrete Walls" on July 29th. Candice has a voice that you wont want to miss out on, so hop on board and enjoy the ride.




ITS - Who has been your biggest influence in your life personally and musically?
Candice- "Personally, my parents. Naturally they make up the person that I am and there are things about each of them that I look up to. Also, they've taught me my values and I'm so grateful for it because it keeps me grounded. It helps me remind myself what is really important to me... in the big picture of life."

"Musically, that's a BIG question! When it comes to song writing, I was first inspired by Jewel and John Mayer, James Blunt too. Later on it moved to Alicia Keys, Emeli Sande, and now Lianne La Havas. The singer in me is inspired by all those big voices out there: Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Beyonce, Alicia Keys, Christina Aguilera... their amazing skill makes me push harder to see what I can do with my instrument, my voice."


 
ITS - Where did the name come from for you latest EP Against Concrete Walls?
Candice - "It actually comes from a line in my single "I Got This", which is also on the EP and I call "I Got This" my personal anthem. I put a lot of thought into everything I do and when it came to naming the album, it was my sister's idea to take lyrics from a song on the EP. She suggested "Against Concrete Walls" and the more I thought of it, the more I loved it. It fit so well with everything I was feeling when I wrote the album. Small town girl in a big city, trying to rise above... and by "rise above" I mean to rise above all the doubts, all of the gray... rise above a sometimes cold world. It's about empowerment. Sort of my way of saying I'm not afraid anymore. The line: "I'm strong but so small against concrete wall, filled with possibility throw all uncertainty away."


ITS - What is one of your favorite tracks of the EP and why?

Candice - "Man you are stacking some hard questions haha! I love them all for different reasons... I really do. BUT if I had to choose, I think I would say "Oh Darling (This Is Love)". I've always been sentimental and aware of time passing... AND how I want to hold onto certain moments in life, but I know I can't. That's what this song is about... and I feel it every time I sing it."


ITS - You just finished your tour in Canada, what has been your favorite moment so far, and where has been your favorite place to play?

Candice - "The whole tour was GOLDEN! Seriously, such great responses from city to city, seeing all my friends and family along the way, and making new friends! My favourite moment was after the show in my hometown (Melville, SK). We went back to my mom's house, popped a bottle of champagne, and toasted to amazing first tour! I was just so blissfully happy. I felt so fulfilled, by the stage and by the love & support I felt the from everyone along the way. That moment was the best. My heart was full."


ITS - Final question - A fun question I like to throw in, what pre show rituals do you have to get you prepared for a show?

Candice - "I'm crazy for preshow rituals haha, ask my guitar player Neil! I love low calorie Gatorade to stay hydrated (especially on the road) and lots of water... licorice tea to soothe my voice... ricola lozenges... I warm up my voice with a few scales and spoken exercises in the early afternoon... I stretch out my muscles. Seriously, it's a whole thing haha."
Be sure to follow Candice on social media, to get all the latest in what will surely be a tremendous career.
If you want to buy her EP "Against Concrete Walls" you can here on ITunes
Also check out her video for her song "Go On" ft. JRDN

No comments:

Post a Comment