Monday, August 25, 2014

Interview with new Fighting For Ithaca drummer Sheldon Stenning


Hey guys welcome to another wonderful week in the independent music scene. In case you didn't notice, I have restructured the premise of this blog. While the local Vancouver music scene aspect will be there, you will notice a bit more international artist interviews. After all we love all music right? Anyways this week I was joined by former SHARKS! On Fire! frontman Sheldon Stenning, and newly named drummer for Fighting For Ithaca, taking the place of original drummer Phil Maloney (who I caught up with last week for his final interview). Sheldon in originally from Kamloops, BC where he studied digital art and design at Thompson Rivers University, and now juggling being a musician and a graphic designer (which we will get into further).

ITS - Who are your biggest influences in your life personally and musically?

Sheldon - "Same answer for both: My biggest influences are easily my bandmates, past and present as well as the bands we tour with. You spend a lot of time with these people and they can really impact you with their insights - and taste in music. Creative people really drive me to work harder and keep expanding what I do conceptually."

ITS - What has life brought you after Sharks On Fire!?
Sheldon - "Mostly a lot of depression. Even though it was the right move for us to split (we had gone too far with a lot of issues), after eight years of the band being a core part of my identity it has left me feeling pretty empty. With that said, I’m proud of our accomplishments as a band, we’re all still good friends and I’m excited for what possibilities I might have with Fighting For Ithaca. (Although if anyone is in need of a front man, you give me a call.) I’ve also stated a few times that I’m ready for S!OF to regroup whenever the time is right. But that’s not up to me."

ITS - With being introduced as Fighting For Ithaca's new drummer, what are you bringing to the table with you?
Sheldon - "I think they were really excited to have me for my graphic design ability - I’m a professional graphic designer by trade - but mostly I’m just excied to bring my writing style into the band. I plan to give FFI’s lyrics a bit of a kick in the pants, and my drumming style is a little more on the punk side than Phil’s. Also, I’m a good helping hand as a show promoter and booking agent. I’ve been putting on shows since I was 17."

ITS - Do you have any words for your predecessor Phil Maloney?
Sheldon - "Nothing that hasn’t already been said: Phil, you’re a charismatic, hard working musician and I have a lot of respect for you. You had a good run, and I’m super happy for you and your family that you’ve decided to put your career-band days behind you. Hopefully I can do you proud buddy."

ITS - What song are you looking forward to playing the most and why?

Sheldon - "Better Off. It’s got amazing energy, I love the subject matter and the lyrics are pretty close to something I’d write - positive and bitter at the same time - plus it’s got some cool double kick in it."

ITS - Final question- a fun one I like to throw in, if you could choose one kind of food to live off of what would it be?
Sheldon - "Well, to be honest, I mostly live off of coffee and ramen. But if I had to upgrade, I would probably pick butter chicken and some nice wine."

Thank you again Sheldon for taking some time out of your busy schedule to do this interview.

If you want to follow Sheldon on social media you can here

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sheldonstenning
Twitter: https://twitter.com/halftones
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sheldonstenning
Website: http://www.capturingmoods.com/


FFI: https://www.facebook.com/FightingForIthaca
Sharks On Fire: http://sharksonfire.ca/

If you want to see Sheldon perform you can check out one of the last SHARKS! On Fire! videos here


And also check out Fighting For Ithaca's single Better Off here




 

No comments:

Post a Comment