Monday, July 7, 2014

Interview with Fighting For Ithaca's Justin Mattock

Hey Ithacans so this week I thought I'd do a quick interview to help get to know the newest member of Vancouver based Fighting For Ithaca, (Read first interview for that one)  Justin Mattock. As you are all aware Adamm Strange left the band (on great terms) to pursue school and just didn't have the time to devote to us Ithacans. Cue Justin Mattock.

ITS - Who has been your biggest influence in your life to want to become a musician and why?

Justin - "My influences come in different phases that I go through. When I was younger I was all about Metallica, Lamb of God, Avenged Sevenfold and those types of bands. Solo guitarists like Joe Satriani and Neil Zaza played a big part in my style as well when I was really big on lead playing. What really pushed my to become a musician was bands like All Time Low, A Day to Remember, Yellowcard, The Story So far and a bunch of others. The music was catchy and it looked like they were having a great time doing what they loved so I knew that's what I wanted to do."

ITS - Were you a fan of FFI before becoming the newest member? And how does it feel being part of the band?

Justin - "I had heard the name but I never really got around to checking out their music. I thought they were just some local band who played a few shows in Vancouver, so I didn't realize how lucky I was to get the spot. Once Curtis sent me the songs to learn I was stoked because the music was awesome. It feels amazing to be apart of FFI. All the guys are great, they welcomed me right away. The fans are very cool too, and I can't wait to meet them all!"

ITS - So taking over for Adamm Strange there are definitely some big shoes to fill, what are you bringing into FFI and what made you stand out over the rest?

Justin - "I never met Adamm, but I've seen videos and he's an awesome guitarist. Hopefully I'll be able to try and contribute as much as he did (nice hair included). As for why I stood out I'm not quite sure, I just went in and played for them, and I was lucky they were nice guys so they were easy to talk to. They said I had a good balance between personality and playing guitar, so I guess that's what it was. I'm hoping to bring some ideas to the guys and help them out with writing, and stage presence during the shows. Also lots of high-fives and smiles. You always need high-fives and smiles."

ITS - So if you could choose one type of food to live off of what would it be and why?

Justin - "Toaster Strudels hands down, those things are unreal. Probably peanut butter too but Toaster Strudels for sure."

ITS - What song are most excited to perform and why?  

Justin - "I'm actually really stoked to play all of them, there's not one song I don't like playing. If I had to choose one it would be "Out of Time". It's catchy right from the get go and the Chorus has been stuck in my head since the first time I heard it."
 
Thanks again Justin for taking the time to do this. And I want to be the first to say welcome to the Ithacan Army. And ladies he's single ;). You can all catch Justin in his first gig with FFI on August 8th at Olympia Pizza in Surrey. And to coincide with this, it will be Phil Maloney's (Drummer) last show with the band. While this came to a surprise to the Ithacan Army, its understandable with 2 children, a full time job, and the band, family does always come first. I'm sure however this will not be the last we see of the Philthy "Mother Lover". So be sure to get your tickets and lets give Phil the sending off that he deserves. Best of luck to the future Phil.
 
If you want to follow Justin on social media you can on
and Facebook - Justn Mattock. 

No comments:

Post a Comment