Monday, June 30, 2014

Interview with Elise Estrada

Hey guys so this week, I was able to land my first major recording artist to interview, and its none other than Vancouver's pop princess, born in the Philippines raised in Canada, Elise Estrada. Elise broke onto the scene in 2007 when she won the 2007 Beat Music Awards, and earned a record and management contract with RockSTAR Music Corporation. Her debut single, Insatiable, was released in May 2007 and went to No.1 on the Canadian Top 40 Charts. Elise had 7 or her songs off her first self titled album become singles, with "Unlove You" peaking at number 11 on the Canadian Top 100. She has toured with many big name stars from 50 Cent, Backstreet Boys, Nelly, and Sean Kingston.  In 2009 she was nominated for a Juno Award for Best R&B/Soul Recording of the Year. In 2014 she has broken back onto the scene under Universal Music Canada's XOXO Entertainment, with her singles "U Don't Need 2 Know" and "Over And Out".

ITS - You recently released a song called "U Don't Need 2 Know", what was your inspiration behind this song?
 
Elise - " Beautiful women we see on Instagram, music video's, youtube video's, movies and magazines inspired Adam H. Hurstfield, Jerry Wong, Vic Levak and I to write "U Don't Need 2 Know". Let's be honest…models, actresses, "beauty guru's" and singers do not wake up looking the way they do in pictures and videos. As a singer, I get lots of "you're so perfect and beautiful " comments…I just thought people should know, I don't wake up looking like those pictures. No woman does. I don't think it's right when young girls compare themselves to someone like Kim Kardashian. Yes, she's a gorgeous woman, but young girls don't realize that she's wearing false lashes and she's had those lips worked on. I don't think it's right for young girls to compare themselves to Victoria Secret models because those women dedicate their lives to the gym and diets.
As women, I think we're too hard on ourselves. My concern is that the media has bombarded us with messages that have us believing that their definition of beauty is actually true. That's why we wrote this song. A song that is honest and playful. A song that pokes fun at me and my beauty secrets because I believe young girls should know. There's a reason why the beauty industry is a multi-billion dollar powerhouse…so ladies, you don't need to be perfect. You can change your hair, wear makeup and all the hottest trends…but NOTHING is more beautiful than being confident in you. Confidence is what makes a woman beautiful, the rest are beauty secrets men "Don't Need 2 Know!"
 
ITS - Over the last couple years you have recorded some very amazing emotional songs (Wonder Woman and All It Takes Is A Moment) talk about these songs a bit and why they mean so much to you.
 
Elise - "We tried to write something to honour Amanda Todd and to let the victims of bullying who suffer in silence know that there are people out there who do care, and that they are not alone. So Adam H. and I wrote "Wonder Woman" with another one of our team members Vic Levak. Since the release of the song, we have been hearing from a lot of kids dealing with thoughts of suicide, and to be honest...it's been difficult. We are not professionals but we always try to help them and direct them to professional help, but more importantly we let them know we care. Sometimes that means the world to a kid who thinks they are alone in the world."
 
ITS - In 2008 you released your last album, when can fans expect another one? And how have you evolved as an artist over the last 6 years?
 
Elise - "You can expect an album sooner than you think!! In JULY 2014!!! The name of the album is #ROUND3 which basically means it's my third album and this time around, we brought it! I think as an artist, I'm more confident in who I am and know exactly what I'm doing. When I released my first album in 2008, I was always questioning myself and always took everything anyone said to heart. I've learned to follow my gut and stop caring about what others think. Along with being somewhat wiser…the music my producer, our team and I write are definitely more grown up."
 
ITS - You are going on tour later this year, what are you most excited about it?
 
Elise - "I'm excited about meet and greets after my shows. Nothing is more rewarding than seeing my audience react the way they do when we meet. When they tell me my music helped them get through a breakup or helped them get through depression due to bullying? THAT's when I'm happiest. I know that sounds cheesy and so "Disney" of me…but it's true. I'm not curing cancer and I'm not Mother Theresa. I'm just a singer, but if my music helps a little girl or boy in a positive way? I'm doing my job"
 
ITS - A fun question I like to throw in, what rituals do you have before a performance? And what is your pre show meal of choice?
 
Elise - "Well, usually my team and I huddle up, put our hands in the middle and scream "Go Go Team". I also like to jump around, vocalizing and stretching just before going on stage!! Honestly? My meal of choice before a show is nothing. Does water count?? I'm always scared of burping while singing and having a big meal makes me a little slow sometimes. I eat AFTER shows!! :)"
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
If you want to follow Elise Estrada on social media you can the following ways
 
Also check out her website for upcoming tour dates
 
Check out her video for her single "U Don't Need 2 Know" here
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment