Monday, December 23, 2013

Interview with Chief Awuah

This week in Inside The Scene we are joined from Toronto by Chief Awuah. Now I know you may be saying, this blog is supposed to showcase local talent from Vancouver, the thing is Chief got his start in music in Vancity. Back in 2008 Chief formed a group called Aristotle's Lyceum with Harold Hejazi and Deskreet releasing "Act 1: Meet His Students". This would be a stepping stone in his career, however going through ups and downs, Chief now is setting his sights on leaving his mark musically.  Now with that said lets get to the interview with Chief.

ITS -Chief I just want to start by saying thank you for sitting down and taking the time to do this interview.

Chief -" First and foremost, I'd like to thank you, Rob Luc and Inside the Scene Vancouver for this interview. Both honoured and humbled to have the privilege to be interviewed, for the first time, about my music. Much appreciated King. Thank you."

ITS -Give us a little insight to who Chief Awuah is.

Chief - "As far as the artist, Chief, is concerned, well, I'm a work in progress. I've gone through your far share of transitions, specifically speaking, transitioning from "Tha Sophist" to "Chief". Tha Sophist was developed in Vancouver, my first initial stomping grounds. It there that I collaborated with my former team, Aristotle's Lyceum. We managed to piece together our first and only project known as, "Act 1: Meet His Students". It didn't really generate any sort of buzz, but at the time it did receive a warm reception from one blog, illRoots. I'm not certain if its available for download anywhere, but if it is, peep game, please. (Haha) After leaving Vancouver, I worked on a solo project, I had tentatively titled, "Hello World" but due to my disdain for the sound quality I didn't release it. But I'm working on a few projects at the moment, that I'll hopefully release soon."

ITS -Now, I know you live in Toronto but you started your career in Vancouver with Aristotle's Lyceum. Tell us what's different in comparison to the music scene of both cities.

Chief - "If you haven't heard this name for Toronto, I'll school you. Toronto, or as the locals including myself would call it, the "screw face" capital (Haha), is slightly different from that of Vancouver, in the sense that people are beginning to support their artists more here as opposed to the pre-Drake phenomena. Vancouver, I've always found to be highly supportive and eclectic in the music that is produced there. I won't lie, if I did have a chance to really build on my fanbase in Vancouver, perhaps things would be different, nonetheless, I'll deal with the cards I've been dealt. Toronto's music scene has honestly exploded with talent, PARTYNEXTDOOR, The Weeknd, Tory Lanez, Luu Breeze, just to name a few Hip-Hop/R&B influenced artists, as far as alternative is concerned, Stuck On Planet Earth, Metric, Team!Badguy, (some local artists you should check out); the level of support that the city is beginning to show these artists has really opened my eyes to the potential that the North has. I got to say, we're definitely setting a lane for yourself. Shout out all those artists/groups I mentioned, the ones I do know, and don't know, personally. (Haha)"

ITS -Who has been the biggest inspiration in your life to pursue a career in music?

Chief - "Hm."
"If we're talking from a musical standpoint, as of now it has to be Jay-Z & Ab-Soul. Both these artists, respectively, have a way with words and wordplay that I can only aspire to reach. Jay-Z's "Reasonable Doubt", hands down has to be one of my favourite albums of all time. That right there, truly debuts the hunger and grit that made me love Jay. "Dead Presidents", "D'Evils", "Friend or Foe", "Bring It On", and the impeccable "22 Twos"... Wooo. (Haha) Jay is the man for those, in my eyes. Now, Ab-Soul, he's a different beast. Lines like:"

"Now we smoking by the O, like the letters P & N, they have to start watching CNN for you to see an end" ~ End is Near

"I'm in a whole 'nother realm, go to hell, last n***a tried to scratch the surface broke a nail, last n***a tried to cross the line got crucified, we overseas, back to back, never wore chanel" ~ Pineal Gland

"Genius-Idiot best description of myself" ~ Pineal Gland

"That definitely encapsulates what he believes he is, but in contrast, I think the man is just a genius, flat out. His album Control System, really stimulated the way I'm taking the direction of music. I've become even more meticulous with my choice of words, and how I want them delivered and the image I'm attempting to depict. I give credit to Ab, now more than ever, for really fuelling the fire I needed to get my fingers typing lyrics. I should say Kendrick, BUT... that's a conversation for another time. (Haha)"

"Biggest personal inspiration has to be my teammate, Blake Powell. He goes under the name, BLVD Blake. He recently just produced 5 tracks on a currently charted EP by D-WHY, "Young, Loved, Hated & Broke". Its doing very well, so give that a peep and support both D-WHY and Blake. But, yeah, he's my biggest inspiration man. I feel as though that man, always reaches new levels of creativity that I strive to reach, and when I do, he's on Level 8 when I'm on Level 4. (Haha)... Still, that's inspiring enough to me want to reach there. He's a beast of a producer and at his best when challenged. I challenge him to do things differently, and he always goes above and beyond. He challenges me to work on my marketing skills, and, well, I'm still working on that... Haha, but nonetheless, there's a level of respect that I have for him and his work ethic that I can't compare to anyone else. I'm a witness, and a listener, to greatness that is on the verge of being noticed. Remember that. So Shout out to Blake man. You know what it is King. Love."
ITS -What projects are you working on right now? And can we expect some new music very soon?
Chief - "At the present moment, I'm working on two projects. My solo effort titled, Meditation 1: Memories of December and a collaborative project, with my current band Since88 known as "Academic Probation". The way things are looking, Academic Probation will see some light sooner than Meditation 1. I'm aiming to have both projects done and release in 2014; Spring 2014."

"As far as new music, the first single off of Meditation 1 has been released, "The Prelude". Check that out. The first single off of the Since88 project will hopefully have some life within the month, as we're recording this single for a commercial for a clothing line that Since88 is affiliated with. I'm working on my second single off Meditation 1. I'm hoping to have that released some time before the Spring. No titles will be disclosed... Haha, but all I can say is, it'll be considered better late than never. So as Lil' Wayne says, "Keep your mouth closed and let your eyes listen." All in due time."
ITS -I always like getting the opinion of hip-hop artists, so who in your mind is the most influential hip-hop artist today? And how about 10 years ago?
Chief - "Today, it has to be Kendrick Lamar. His verse on "Control" has really set a competitive wave in motion in Hip-Hop, and I think its exactly what the game needs. I'm not against the whole friendly camaraderie, but for a while Hip-Hop really lost its intrigue. Post-Control, you can see that every rapper is honestly, RAPPING. It's set the music in a direction where lyrics matter, and everyone is gunning for each other's necks on verse, to essentially take the fans of the artist they're featured with. I like that. I'm a competitive person, and I remember telling my man Lane, (Shout out Lane) "Man, I really f***s with your music and that real. But just know, if you feature me on a track where the intention is to go bar for bar, I'm not taking an L to you, I'm letting you know, I'm coming for you." So, it's what I believe the game needs, and what makes Kendrick the man at this moment. He's not sparing any bars on any track, featured or not... He's a force."

"10 years ago? I was in grade 9. Uhm... Its between Jay-Z and Kanye. Jay-Z was on the verge of retiring and had all the momentum I believe at that time. Kanye had dropped The College Dropout, and set in motion "Honest rapping". The thing with hip-hop is, some subject matter tends to get over-exaggerated, to the point that it isn't really convincing unless the artist has tangible proof. Now, what Kanye did was different from that of the Hip-Hop that was bouncing around then, he wasn't taking "Gangsta" or relaying the "Thug Life" message, he was talking about his issues and issues of the typical Afro-American/Canadian. That's what set Kanye apart from the rest, easily. In a time where jeans were sagging, he wore his at his waist line. In a time were Platinum and cristal was in every rappers line, he brought our attention to his beliefs and desires to achieve those seemingly intangible things. "

"But that's just my view."

ITS -If there was one artist you could work with mainstream or underground who would it be and why?
Chief - "Haha... You might find this odd but, my choice would be Michael Bublé. I know, I know, odd right? Truth be told, I've been a fan of that man since "Home". I've always thought if I could get this guy to teach me how to effectively use my vocals and match his range, I'd be on cloud nine. As a crooner, the guy is definitely one that needs all the recognition it has gotten now. As a person, the guy comes from Vancouver/Burnaby and I love the West so, I know that would be a blessed situation to be in. I'm a fan of the guy, no doubts."
ITS  -Final question, 6 years ago NAS stated "Hip-Hop is Dead", what state do you feel Hip-Hop is in now?
Chief - "Its not dead, it lives in the West. I have to say Top Dawg ENT has the game in their grips. Kendrick, Ab-Soul, ScHoolboy Q & Jay Rock, that unit is what has peoples ears perk up every time a song comes out from them. Don't get me wrong, the radio would say YMCMB is the best, but I shake my head to that notion. Maybe 2 years ago, yeah, but now, the West Coast is, literally, the best coast. Hip-Hop has found life, through Kendrick, and I'm sure it'll transition to another coast soon, but until then, my eyes are on California man. I think your eyes should be too."
Well once again Chief I just want to say thank you for doing this once again and I'm sure the fans are extremely excited for what you have coming out. I know I am.
If you want to Contact Chief on Social Media you can check him out at
Twitter, Instagram and Soundcloud under @since88_ck
and you can find him on Facebook under Chief.
And now for a little sample of what you can expect from Chief here is The Prelude from Meditation 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment